Thursday, 5 March 2015

Book Review: Say Her Name by James Dawon


Hey guys! So I've been really busy with school, but I really wanted to upload, so today I'm going to do a review on my favourite author,  James Dawson. Throughout the review I mention some parts of the book, but there is not enough to spoil anything.

Hot Key Books - Publisher
Drip...drip...drip...In five days, she will come...Roberta 'Bobbie' Rowe is not the kind of person who believes in ghosts. A Halloween dare at her ridiculously spooky boarding school is no big deal, especially when her best friend Naya and cute local boy Caine agree to join in too. They are ordered to summon the legendary ghost of Bloody Mary: say her name five times in front of a candlelit mirror, and she shall appear...But, surprise surprise, nothing happens. Or does it? Next morning, Bobbie finds a message on her bathroom mirror - five days - but what does it mean? And who left it there? Things get increasingly weird and more terrifying for Bobbie and Naya, until it becomes all too clear that Bloody Mary was indeed called from the afterlife that night, and she is definitely not a friendly ghost. Bobbie, Naya and Caine are now in a race against time before their five days are up and Mary comes for them, as she has come for countless others before...A truly spine-chilling yet witty horror from shortlisted 'Queen of Teen' author James Dawson.
Blurb from Amazon

Say Her Name is about a girl called Bobbie, and  it follows her life after she summoned the ghost Bloody Mary. When I first read the book, I was so so scared (my mirror is still covered). I think James (author) had a really good plot the story, where he could have made it really cliché, he didn't. You see Mary's side of view to what happened, and dare I say, feel sympathy to the ghost.
I love how the characters were described, and I loved Caine, and Bobbie's relationship. The only disappointment I had with the book was the fact that Bobbie's best friend wasn't really explored as  much as she could've been, her character could have more explanation.
James writing is really witty, and I don't usually read horror/thriller books, but I've read his books from the start - so I'm going to carry on.

It wasn't just Bobbie who summoned Mary, it was also her best  friend Naya, and love interest Caine. I would say friend, but they didn't know each other before the Hallowe'en night that they summoned the ghost.

There was so many parts I loved, and I wished I could live in a boarding school, to have that kind of life.
I loved reading the part where she realised she may never see her mother again, and I felt just as upset as Bobbie was.
At the end, I loved what James did, but I also sat in shock for five minutes. There is an opening for a sequel, but I don't know whether my sanity will be able to handle it.

I will definitely read this book again, and will probably be just as scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment